Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Da Vinci Resolve 11 Lite  (Read 1408 times)
Pete_G

« on: June 26, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Seems like Resolve 11 Lite is now available as a beta version. Lots of enhancements to the editing side of the software,
for those who just need basic editing features, i.e. short form films and, of course, colour grading - this might be the only app you need. I haven't tried it yet but I'd be surprised if it wasn't stable, knowing BM's track record, and the fact that Resolve 11 (paid version) has been around for some months now.

Bang The Drum All Day

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Seems like Resolve 11 Lite is now available as a beta version. Lots of enhancements to the editing side of the software,
for those who just need basic editing features, i.e. short form films and, of course, colour grading - this might be the only app you need. I haven't tried it yet but I'd be surprised if it wasn't stable, knowing BM's track record, and the fact that Resolve 11 (paid version) has been around for some months now.

I have a feeling that Blackmagic is going to evolve resolve into a full editorial suite, which would be a good idea, considering the void left from fcp 7.

I use resolve 9 regularly and for roundtripping and coloring with some basic effects it's very good, especially with RED footage and briefly tested 11, though as you mention 11 is fine for quick cuts, with simple transitions but not really a full fledged editorial suite.

I think we'll eventually see a suite (from someone) that editing, coloration and even some effects are done on the same timeline.  Coloring on the timeline is priceless as it let's you match and tweak to impact the story and no matter how qualified a colorist you are, I've never done a video where I don't do some final adjustment on the timeline.

But resolve as a coloration tool is wonderful, especially for the cost.

IMO

BC

Gandalf

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
ReplyReply

11.1 is now out and it just keeps getting better. I'm giving it a real look. Right now the features that it is lacking I can mostly work around, though one shoot is heavily multi cam, so that's out.
bcooter

Bang The Drum All Day

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
ReplyReply

11.1 is now out and it just keeps getting better. I'm giving it a real look. Right now the features that it is lacking I can mostly work around, though one shoot is heavily multi cam, so that's out.

I just did 1 hour 46 minutes of rushes using resolve and it's editing funcitons.   Running a full tilt mac silver desktop and a RED rocket card for the RED footage it worked ok, but for editing, it's pretty rough and loads up quickly.

(1/2 my footage was RED, 1/2 70d) all in their native codecs.

What I found was you need fast scratch disks, fast graphic cards and open cl and btw: save the project every few seconds as you will get a crash with mixed footage.

The results though are good because resolve has nice footage rendering.

I also suggest buying film convert for resolve as it gives a much nicer look to the files, especailly dslr files, though film convert is somewhat buggy to load properly.

Actually, though I never edit fully in fcpX, since I was mixing 4k and 2k footage It would have been a lot faster for simple rushes type edit to use fcpx set for proxy media, then export a fcpXxml to resolve and then round trip back.

I hope blackmagic makes a good editorial program, but today, it requires too many workarounds to do anything complex.

BTW:  I would never consider color grading in fcpX at least not for finish as it's rendering, look and system is way time consuming compared to Resolve 11.1.

IMO

BC

Gandalf

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks BC, that's great info.
bcooter

Bang The Drum All Day

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks BC, that's great info.

Resolve is excellent but unless I'm missing something, it is missing some simple functions, like eye dropper wb, better keying, easier key frames, etc.

FilmConvert is worth the price, just for the wb slider alone, though you must read the instructions for installing and install the correct packets for your camera.

Just a note.

One thing I noticed on the rushes, which were 4k red and 2k 70d.  When I went to render a single clip in flat pass, the rendering meter said 56 hours.  I restarted to clear the video ram but got the same result, so set two more scratch disks and open cl and the rendering went to 2 hours 46 minutes.

Could have just been a glitch on my system, but 56 to 2 hours is a big deal.

IMO

BC

Gandalf

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Resolve is excellent but unless I'm missing something, it is missing some simple functions, like eye dropper wb, better keying, easier key frames, etc.

Honestly, I'm too new at this to comment intelligently. It does have a setting tab in the color tools to work with a colorchecker card, but I don't see eye dropper wb. The eye droppers seem to be more for selecting specific colors. One person I work with is neck deep in Adobe and another uses either FCPX or Media Composer, so my hope is that Resolve can be a little more for me than just color, but I don't know.

FilmConvert is worth the price, just for the wb slider alone, though you must read the instructions for installing and install the correct packets for your camera.

Thanks, I will look into it.

One thing I noticed on the rushes, which were 4k red and 2k 70d.  When I went to render a single clip in flat pass, the rendering meter said 56 hours.  I restarted to clear the video ram but got the same result, so set two more scratch disks and open cl and the rendering went to 2 hours 46 minutes.

Could have just been a glitch on my system, but 56 to 2 hours is a big deal.

Good tip on the scratch drive. Right now I am working remotely with just a laptop and chalked up the slow speed to that. How much scratch drive space does it need?
Chrisso26

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
ReplyReply

White balance in Resolve 11 depends on whether you are shooting ProRes or raw.
I'm always shooting raw.
So I just select my camera type (Blackmagic) in the camera setting and my footage generally comes up fairly well balanced.
There is a download to help with ProRes white balance made by a guy called Captain Hook.
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

For quick grading, I find dropping one of his LUTs on to my clip get's me very close to where I need to be, very quickly.
Resolve is very different to photography applications. It's very complex and a steep learning curve.
I've just started the Ripple Training Resolve 11 course.
You can do everything you need to do in Resolve 11, you just need to understand how to do it. I must admit I find Capture One a lot easier.
I bought Film Convert and didn't like the results. Yeah it's very easy to use and very quick, but it just softens your footage and adds fake film artefacts, in my humble opinion.
Morgan_Moore

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 04:37:22 AM »
ReplyReply

I did a vid on grey balance in resolve.. https://vimeo.com/72582560

Sam Morgan Moore Cornwall
www.sammorganmoore.com -photography
kjkahn

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
ReplyReply

It sounds like some of you have missed the new Color Match feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTporDXYxA
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad