Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Heavy Metal by Kevin Raber  (Read 5723 times)
Pete Berry

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I don't like them, Kevin. They're awful. I can only presume that you've never encountered such scenes in real life before, and perhaps find them fascinating because they appear so unusual to you. Is this correct? Alternatively, perhaps in the past you have worked in such an environment, and have emotional memories that these images inspire. Which is correct?

Ray, I'm truly sorry that you were either, (A), abducted as a child to a similar place, or (B), forced to work in a similar environment against your will to "experience the emotional memories these images..." invoke in you. Which is correct? And, oh, have you stopped beating your wife?

You have, in a short, ugly message, completely destroyed the cardinal role of personal taste in art appreciation, and substituted simplistic, utterly narrow-minded criteria to explain why anyone might possibly appreciate something you don't.  Wink That makes it OK, right?

I am intrigued by images such as this, and congratulate Kevin on his work. As always, I would like to see links to appreciate the homepage images on a somewhat larger scale.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:57:59 PM by Pete Berry » Logged
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »
ReplyReply

... I did. I initially described a dislike for the image, and I later described why I disliked it, in post #28...

Seriously, Ray!? 28 posts later!?

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »
ReplyReply

... I don't like them...They're awful...

I couldn't agree more, Ray!

I do not like them either, they are indeed awful. Your critiques, that is.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Sharon Van Lieu

Nantucket Landscape and Architectural Photographer

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
ReplyReply

This is an oldie but still so true - http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

jjj

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
ReplyReply

The problem is that your personal dislike of the picture content isn't sufficient to support a discussion.
True. Except for the fact that the discussion is now 4 pages long.
This could a repeat of the utterly absurd + ridiculous "lenses change perspective, not position" nonsense discussion from a while back.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
jjj

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Even better was when someone posted a bunch of photos by similar 'old masters' for open critique. May also have been from TOP, but cannot recall off hand.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
Isaac

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
ReplyReply

True. Except for the fact that the discussion is now 4 pages long.

4 pages of posts, and still no discussion :-)
Kevin Raber
Administrator

Kevin Raber

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
ReplyReply

There is nothing more fun than to sit down and discuss photographs.  I enjoy this a lot when shooting too.  As anyone who has shot with me can attest I verbalize what I am seeing.  So, anytime any of you are in Indianapolis let me know, stop by and we can discuss photography to our hearts content and maybe even enjoy a glass of wine.  Or, come to one of the workshops that we do and we'll enjoy great discussions on numerous topics.  We might even have a laugh or two. 

Kevin

Kevin Raber
Publisher - luminous-landscape.com
kwr@luminous-landscape.com
stamper

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 02:16:34 AM »
ReplyReply

There is nothing more fun than to sit down and discuss photographs.  I enjoy this a lot when shooting too.  As anyone who has shot with me can attest I verbalize what I am seeing.  So, anytime any of you are in Indianapolis let me know, stop by and we can discuss photography to our hearts content and maybe even enjoy a glass of wine.  Or, come to one of the workshops that we do and we'll enjoy great discussions on numerous topics.  We might even have a laugh or two. 

Kevin

Does that include Ray? I would have thought by now he may have back peddled a bit after reflecting on his initial post but I unfortunately don't see any evidence. Sad

mjrichardson

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Afternoon

This is not much of a discussion on the actual image, for what it's worth, I had very mixed emotions about the shot, actually I do on quite a few of Kevin's shots. My very first response was eek! The processing was fairly extreme to my eye but looking deeper, I really liked the viewpoint, the lines, the structure of the machinery, all really beautifully captured, the processing for me detracted rather than enhanced the view and it felt to me that it became less of a photograph and more of a graphic image if that makes sense. I find with heavier HDR that images become "flat" contrast is lost and there seems to be a loss of depth.

Kevin is a big boy and I'm sure he is not going to be bothered by the opinions of random people on the internet, I will say that I respect his desire to push things though, as photographers or artists surely we can do no more than produce images that we ourselves are happy with and then stand by them? Positive or negative, we should be happy that we did what we did for ourselves, once we start producing images in order to gain the most approval then surely we have lost something? I will also say that displaying photographs to photographers is always going to be tricky, we all have an opinion on how we would do things but it's all theoretical, the opinions of people who are not looking at the technical aspects will always be different and in many cases more relevant, particularly if they are handing over cash and taking the prints home!

I'd have loved to have been at that shoot, I like industrial structures, I liked looking at other shots from the same venue, Dave I think it was, it's a stunning place for sure if you like that sort of thing, I know my shots wouldn't have employed the same processing techniques but that's not to say they would have been better or worse, just different, my interpretation of what I was seeing.

Anyway, back to taking photographs and learning from others, that's what it's all about isn't it?

Mat

Oops, I realise that the discussion was about the Heavy Metal shot, I was thinking of the Pump House shot, sorry for mixing up! I still stand by my comments though when talking about a lot of the shots from this location.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:15:58 AM by mjrichardson » Logged

uaiomex

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
ReplyReply

Thank you Sharon. This is the most hilarious page over the entire internet I've ever had the luck to see.
Eduardo

elthom

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2014, 06:48:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Since Sharon posted  the link to the first part, I thought I'd add the link to the second part of TOP's critique of famous photographs.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/11/great-photographers-on-the-internet-part-ii/comments/page/2/

Enjoy

Lesley
Hans Kruse

« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »
ReplyReply

I was reading through this long thread and couldn't believe my eyes. In my view Kevin has made a beautiful picture and in this case I like his post processing and I think the presentation fits the subject very well. I would have been proud to have taken this picture.

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Hans,

Nice to hear…

My take is that we photographers have different approaches. Photography is much about perception and interpretation. Kevin's interpretations are often a bit excessive to me, but I feel it is an artistic freedom that everyone has.

Regarding the recent home page pictures here on LuLa I generally liked them, they were not over the edge to my mind.

By the way, this is my interpretation of a subject from your recent workshop:

Thanks for taking us to great places. Now, about the 2015 workshop, I really want to take part…

Best regards
Erik

I was reading through this long thread and couldn't believe my eyes. In my view Kevin has made a beautiful picture and in this case I like his post processing and I think the presentation fits the subject very well. I would have been proud to have taken this picture.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:04:35 AM by ErikKaffehr » Logged

Hans Kruse

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2014, 06:31:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Hans,

Nice to hear…

My take is that we photographers have different approaches. Photography is much about perception and interpretation. Kevin's interpretations are often a bit excessive to me, but I feel it is an artistic freedom that everyone has.

Regarding the recent home page pictures here on LuLa I generally liked them, they were not over the edge to my mind.

By the way, this is my interpretation of a subject from your recent workshop:

Thanks for taking us to great places. Now, about the 2015 workshop, I really want to take part…

Best regards
Erik

Unless a photographer strives to do documentary photos, the editing and composition should be a result of the photographers artistic intent and therefore the final result should reflect the photographers vision. If this is agreed upon, it is not so strange that some comments would wildly disagree with a certain image of even a hole collection of them. I personally think there is value to be taken from even pictures where one does not like certain aspects and could be inspirational in such cases. So I think it is about having an open mind and get ideas from even what you dislike.

Personally I like some of Kevins pictures and some I like less, but I always look at them with interest as he does rather seldom publish snapshots. I don't know if this comments means anything to the naysayers in this thread (and I don't refer to you Erik).

I like your interpretation, Erik, even though it is a bit overdone   Wink

I'm also looking forward to 2015 and hope to see you again.

pcgpcg

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2014, 02:18:05 PM »
ReplyReply

I love them! but, different strokes for different folks...
... I continually like to challenge myself, no matter what landscape I shoot and to present my work for others to enjoy (or not)...
Hooray for this!  If you don't go outside your comfort zone you don't grow. I once had an art teacher who challenged us to go find the most boring subject we could imagine and then use it to create a painting/drawing/photo that was truly exciting.  As an example he took us all outside and asked for suggestions.  Someone pointed to a crack in the sidewalk and he promptly set up a chair and went to work. An hour later he had produced a beautiful watercolor.  I'll never forget that.  It's often occurred to me that a painting of an inane object can be perceived in a much more accepting light than a photo, no matter how well done.

I think Kevin did a great job with heavy metal, but I understand that many people wouldn't care for it.  You can't please everyone of course, and ultimately it is oneself that is the most important critic. Thank heavens there are people who know that and happily proceed in spite of it.

I never did see the appeal of icebergs either... Wink

Paul
Isaac

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Someone pointed to a crack in the sidewalk…

Have you seen these photos by Ernst Haas?
Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
ReplyReply

Have you seen these photos by Ernst Haas?

Or by this guy I stumbled upon on the Internet Wink

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Fine_Art

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
ReplyReply

I searched for the image to see what the fuss was about. I like it, it is a strong image. I also agree to some extent with Ray that is is not a subject I would want to record. To me this image is a reminder of the lost humanity in many modern companies. If you study Japanese management systems this would be a prime example of what they would call 'no respect for the workers as humans'. This kind of image needs to be seen. If you look at very old industrial you see their struggle with technology. If you look at some modern work environments you see designs based on solid engineering (good) that never consider people have to be there all day, for a large chunk of their lives. The Charlie Chaplin film modern times was a comedy of the impact this type of thing had on him. He walks a round twitching, tightening imaginary bolts.

As analogy compare the Firth of Forth engineering

with the architecture of Caltrava for Ireland

Both are functional bridges.

So I look at some modern industrial photography with an eye for what needs to be changed.
Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
ReplyReply

I have to wonder what's the point of compering 19th century technology with 21st one?

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad