Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Epson 3800-Mystery ink spots-pic  (Read 1142 times)
pluton

« on: August 05, 2014, 01:12:20 AM »
ReplyReply

See attached JPEG scan.  Different color ink blobs along one edge of print.  Smeared blobs are from my handling while still wet...the blobs were all circular as the print came out of the printer.
Has anyone here gotten these ink drippings/spots/whatever-they-are on their Epson 3800(or presumably 3880)?
Never got them before in 5 years of operating this printer; first got the spots on several Exhibiton Fiber 8.5x11s, then I printed a Epson ProGlossy that had no spots, then the next Glossy had them again.  
Printer had been well-treated over the years.  I usually print at least once a week, very rarely have a nozzle clog which is always easily cleared. Epson inks, and the waste ink tank shows about 80% full on the LCD annunciator panel.
Any knowledge out there about this?
Thanks, in advance.  -Keith B.
PS: Look at the larger JPEG scan image please!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:47:28 AM by pluton » Logged
AFairley

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »
ReplyReply

I had something similar on my 3800, but only the black and extending 1/8" to 3/8" from the side of the paper, printing on EEF, intermittent spacing.  I tried a power cleaning and cleaning off the capping station wiper blade and sponges, but it did not fix the problem. Given the cost of a 3880 after rebate and the value of the included inks, plus the fact that I could use the existing in carts from the 3800 (except for the magentas) in the 3880 I decided to buy a 3880 rather than spend money on trying to fix it with no guaranty of success (I called an Epson service shop in L.A., but they did not immediately recognize the problem).  I was able to sell the 3800 without ink and with full disclosure of the problem to someone for $125 as I recall.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

jerryrock

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Have you tried adjusting the platen gap control for thicker paper?

Gerald J Skrocki
skrockidesign.com
howardm

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »
ReplyReply

probably edge curling upward (humidity issue?) 

try increasing the platen gap and also lay the paper down on a flat surface and see if the edge is curled; if so, try some gentle reverse curling.
pluton

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Jerry and Howard, Thanks for your suggestions.
I had provisionally ruled out head strikes because the paper seemed very flat, and the spots had the distinct appearance of droplets as opposed to the 'side-hits' of head strikes.  In fact, that's the reason I switched to the Epson Glossy RC paper....Just in case the issue was curl or thickness related with the thicker Exhibition fiber.  
Luckily I have no deadlines involved so it looks like I'll be fiddling and finagling with various experimental remedies.  Platen gap and waste ink tank are the first objects of interest.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:00:41 PM by pluton » Logged
MHMG

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Yup, I get them too, and with a regular occurrence that causes me to reject as much as 15% of the prints I make on my 3880.  This problem is the reason I give my 3880 a C rating rather than an A rating for overall performance, and the reason that the 3880 is prosumer and not professional grade, IMHO. Too many wasted prints due to ink dribble, usually in the margins about 1 inch away from the paper edge, but sometimes within the image itself.

My 3880 rarely clogs (which is uncharacteristic of all other consumer/prosumer Epson printers I've owned in the past) and when it does, it's relatively easy to unclog with a single cleaning cycle. However, although the Epson teflon coated head technology may be the reason the 3880 does so well at reducing/eliminating clogs, I suspect it contributes to a slow but stray ink droplet build up on the head surface that finally lets go and lands on the print. Sometimes, when those droplets are large but still haven't fallen off the head, a close paper gap can cause the head to "kiss" the paper surface just enough to deposit those large unwanted ink droplets on the paper. While this situation may not be a true head strike in the sense of the head actually colliding with the edge of the paper, it's a close enough head-to-paper surface gap that the ink buildup on the head subsequently gets transferred to the paper.  A wider platen gap can help reduce the problem by allowing the 3880 to accumulate an even larger glob of ink on its head surface before gravity finally takes its toll and the stray ink blob falls onto the paper by itself. That's my somewhat unscientific reasoning on this issue, but I call it as I see it Angry  

Perhaps turning the machine off more frequently to truly park the head on the capping station might help reduce the problem. I'm still trying to figure what steps the enduser can take to reduce the frequency of occurrence.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:10:50 AM by MHMG » Logged
pluton

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »
ReplyReply

The ink drip issue went away and has not returned in several weeks of light occasional use.
If it starts  again, I'll park the heads immediately to drain off excess ink.
Next, if needed, I'll increase the platen gap.
  Thanks, for all the info.
-KB
JayWPage

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Here is a link to u-tube movie about how to clean the purge pad and wiper on an Epson 3800/3880. It may help prevent the drips, but I haven't tried it myself.

See: Cleaning the Purge pad and Wiper on the Epson pro 3800.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for that link, Jay. In over five years I have never cleaned the inside of my 3800, but the procedure looks quite straightforward, so I'll try it soon, and then probably every couple of months.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
pluton

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »
ReplyReply

OP here:  the ink drips have come back, but with a maddeningly random intermittence.  I'll check that video soon...
jtoolman

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »
ReplyReply

When was the last time the OP cleaned the Purge Pad and the wiper blade.
If the same paper did not become stained with globs of ink in the past then increasing the platen gap or thickness of the paper setting will only be a temporary fix. The problem WILL absolutely come back with a vengeance.

Watch my  video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKzxAm9QtWo

Joe
AFairley

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
ReplyReply

When was the last time the OP cleaned the Purge Pad and the wiper blade.
If the same paper did not become stained with globs of ink in the past then increasing the platen gap or thickness of the paper setting will only be a temporary fix. The problem WILL absolutely come back with a vengeance.

Watch my  video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKzxAm9QtWo

Joe

The OP should certainly try Cleaning the wiper blade and purge pad, nothing to lose.  In my case doing so did not fix the problem, but it certainly is the place to start.  Like I said, nothing lose. 

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad