Scotland - Isle Of Skye Photography Workshop
by Kevin Raber
Only 4 Spots Left - Don't Hesitate - Register Today
Luminous-Landscape and Phase One are proud to announce an amazing Isle Of Skye Photography Workshop this November 1st to November 7th. This will be a LuLa – PODAS workshop, where every attendee is provided a Phase One camera system with the latest Phase One digital back to use for the duration of the workshop. As with all LuLa and PODAS workshops everything is covered in the workshop fee except transportation to the Inverness Airport. Our pick up time will be 12 noon to 1PM on the 1st.
You’ll have your own room, all meals, and ground transportation plus the three great instructors and the Phase One team to help you make the most of your experience. The only thing you need to bring to the workshop is a tripod, CF cards, Laptop and backup storage, plus a willingness to have a lot of fun taking great photos. Steve Gosling, Joe Cornish and Kevin Raber will guide you through this amazing region.
Skye is a wonderfully dramatic and picturesque island off the west coast of Scotland and has been voted ‘the 4th best island in the world’ by National Geographic magazine. It’s a place of extremes – from the craggy outline of the Cuillin that dominate the landscape to the sheer cliffs and imposing headlands that descend down to peaceful bays & beaches. It’s changing weather patterns can create wonderfully atmospheric lighting conditions for photography and given the right weather conditions Skye can be an ideal location for glorious sunrises and sunsets.
The workshop will start on Saturday 1st November when we will pick everyone up from Inverness Airport. A drive west will take us across the bridge to Skye and on to the small town of Portree, the location of our base for the workshop, the luxury four star Cuillin Hills Hotel. The hotel is set in private grounds overlooking Portree Bay with magnificent views to the Cuillin Hill mountain range.
The workshop will start with introductions to the instructors, the workshop program, fellow attendees and some of the locations we will visit whilst on this wonderful island. You'll also be given the Phase One camera system for this workshop. The next five days will be spent visiting and photographing some of the iconic and well known locations as well as some lesser known but equally photogenic spots that Skye has to offer.
The programme will be flexible to make the best use of the locations, the light and the prevailing weather conditions (Scotland is known for its changeable weather at any time of the year and this can make for dramatic landscape photographs).
In our time on Skye our itinerary will cover: -
• The village of Elgol, on the shores of Loch Scavaig, which has a wonderful rocky coastline with magnificent views across to the Cuillin Hills
• The Quirang, a fascinating rugged landscape on the Trotternish Peninsula with views east across to the mainland
• The iconic Old Man of Storr (a rocky outcrop with interesting pinnacles that are the remnants of ancient landslips). It's eastern face looks across the Sound of Rassay
• The remote lighthouse at Neist Point (the most westerly point on the Duirinish Peninsula). The lighthouse and cliffs are photogenic subjects in their own right but the location also offers the opportunity to see whales, dolphins, porpoises and basking shark
• The Fairy Pools in Glen Brittle. A location dominated by the Cuillin Hills. The water running off the hills flows down into the glen via a series of picturesque rocky waterfalls
• The Fairy Glen - a little know, bizarre and delightful miniature landscape of cone shaped hills (local myth says these are the underground homes of fairies so beware where you tread!)
• Sligachan Bridge is an old (early 19th century) picturesque stone bridge crossing the river that carries the water down from the Cuillin. Its location offers photographic potential in the water as it cascades over the rocky river bed as well as views of the bridge in its magnificent setting, overlooked by the surrounding hills. Situated across the road is the Sligachan Hotel with its bar that boasts a selection of over 200 malt whiskies (so still something to do even if the weather is bad!)
Skye is a wonderful and magical part of Scotland and a landscape photographers dream. Come and join two photographers who know the location well and can share with you some of its photographic secrets.
Although he has his own gallery and has been exhibited widely, books are the heart of Joe Cornish's photographic output. First Light, a Landscape Photographers Art, is one of the best-loved landscape photography books of the modern era. He wrote and photographed Scotland's Coast, and the critically acclaimed Scotland's Mountains. He has had a DVD (With Landscape in Mind) and a book (Joe Cornish, a Photographer at Work) made about him.
A reluctant convert to digital imaging, Joe bought his first Phase One back (a P45+) in 2008. He has since evolved his working method to mirror that of large format film, so shoots on a Linhof Techno, and since 2011 a Phase One IQ180. The Phase One files complement the printing workflow needed for his North Yorkshire gallery,
Joe is part of the elite group, The world's 40 most influential Nature Photographers, listed by Outdoor Photography magazine in 2010, and he has appeared on television as a presenter and photographic expert. He has been a judge on Wildlife Photographer of the Year and is an honorary Fellow of the RPS.
I am a professional photographer who specializes in producing creative & contemporary landscape images (my 'signature' style is moody, atmospheric and minimalist black & white photographs).
My images have been published internationally as posters & greetings cards and have appeared in advertisements, books, magazines, newspapers & calendars across the world. Prints of my work have been exhibited in venues throughout the UK and have appeared on sets for both theatre and film productions. My work has also won awards in both national and international competitions.
I particularly enjoy writing & teaching about photography. As well as being a contributor to many of the major photography magazines in the UK and abroad I regularly give talks to photographic societies and other groups. I have run a successful workshop program for several years encouraging and inspiring photographers of all levels from across the world.
You can find out more about Steve Gosling HERE
Kevin Raber is a digital pioneer. Embracing digital in 1996 Kevin hasn’t looked back. In the seventies and eighties Kevin ran a very successful commercial studio in the Philadelphia area. In the mid eighties he bought one of the first Macintosh computers and started a software company writing software for photographers. He sold both the studio and software company in 1990 and worked with Burrell Professional Labs as Sales and Business Development Manager. In the mid 90’s he was part of the team that developed initially a hybrid digital workflow for color labs and eventually a fully digital workflow. In 1999 he joined Phase One as a Vice President and worked on numerous projects with Phase One until 2013 when he joined Luminous-Landscape as CEO and Publisher.
Kevin’s passion for photography can only be experienced by photographing with him. His collection of images from all corners of the globe is extensive. He was the originator of the well known PODAS workshops and now brings this experience to Luminous-Landscape. You can see more of Kevin’s work at kevinraber.com.
How To Register
The price for this amazing workshop is $6500.00 USD. It includes . . .
• Expert instruction by Steve, Joe and Kevin
• Airport pick up and return. (pick up will be 1:00 PM on November 1st at Inverness Airport and you’ll be returned to the airport by noon time on the 7th.)
• Single occupancy room at the The Cullin Hills Hotel (it’s a very nice hotel)
• All your meals. Breakfast will be at the hotel. Lunches will either be in the hotel of box lunches in the field. Dinners will be at the hotel or various local restaurants. Dinners include a glass of wine.
• All transportation during the workshop will be provided
• You’ll receive a loaner Phase One camera system of one of the new IQ 2X0 series backs.
• Each van will also have a full compliment of all the Phase One lenses for you to use also
• Classroom instruction on Lightroom and Capture One as well as post processing techniques.
• All you bring is a laptop (PC or MAC), CF cards, and a willingness to have a lot of fun taking pictures in a most amazing landscape.
• Incidental charges such as internet, bar, laundry and other such services will be at your expense.
Sign up today by downloading the Registration Form and returning it by email. A $2500.00 deposit is required to hold your spot. Final payment will be due at the beginning of September 2014. If you need to cancel your deposit will be returned if your position can be filled less $200 for transaction fees.
Any questions contact Kevin Raber by phone at 317-379-7482 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
This workshop will be administered by Rockhopper Workshops LLC. Rockhopper Workshops is the sole US Based provider of workshops for Luminous-Landscape.